Thursday, February 19, 2009

Cover Letters & Advice

For this week's blog, we were asked to respond to a link about cover letters and their advice.  I think that some of the general advice was helpful.  You obviously would not want to send out a generic cover letter to a mass amount of companies, but you want to instead be specific, direct, and to the point.  I did not realize the majority of the focus of the cover letter should be geared towards the company.  I have always thought of it as another means to market yourself with the resume.

I think that most cover letters are probably ignored in larger companies and like the article said they tend to look at the resumes and already have some type of recruiting program in place.  On the other hand, with smaller companies, if they are interested in your resume, then yes they probably will look at your cover letter.  I was unaware of the ratio of cover letters to resumes that large employers only read.  I did not realize that it was such a big gap.

No comments:

Post a Comment